Juniper Networks® ACX Series Universal Access Routers are Juniper's response to a shift in metro network architecture where the access and aggregation layer is extending the operational intelligence from the service provider edge to the access network. The ACX Series simplifies access and aggregation architectures by eliminating unnecessary layers and network overlays, dramatically reducing CapEx and OpEx. Based on architectural simplification and cost reduction, service providers and enterprises can adopt the true universal access paradigm enabled by the ACX Series.
ACX Series routers are optimized for converging mobile, business, and residential access services on a single platform. The ACX Series devices come in space-efficient 1 and 2.5 U chassis and support 6 to 2,560 Gbps of throughput, setting a new benchmark for port density in its product category. The ACX Series provides:
- Flexible deployment options over Ethernet or IP/MPLS infrastructure
- True pay-as-you-grow model for in-service upgrade from 1GbE to 10GbE interfaces
- High availability features such as multichassis link aggregation (MC-LAG), unified in-service software upgrade (unified ISSU), and Virtual Chassis
- Environmental or temperature hardened designs (on most models) and low power consumption, enabling deployment in extreme temperature situations such as in outside cabinets and remote points of presence (POPs)
- Built-in service engine to enable SDN-based programmability such as advanced SLA management
- Inline advanced security services such as IPsec, Network Address Translation (NAT), Media Access Control Security (MACsec), and Trusted Platform Module (TPM) management on select models
- Highly scalable and reliable hardware-based timing technology based on Juniper's intellectual property, that meets the strictest LTE-A requirements for frequency and phase synchronization to enhance quality of experience (QoE) for mobile broadband (on most models)
- Rapid deployment capabilities via Juniper Networks Junos® Space Network Management Platform and zero touch provisioning (ZTP) solutions that minimize installation, provisioning, and network management costs
Architecture and Key Components Powered by Juniper Networks Junos operating system, the ACX Series routers complement Juniper's universal edge solutions through a flexible and scalable service provider and enterprise branch routing portfolio optimized to support rapidly growing mobile, video, and cloud computing applications. The ACX Series introduces Juniper's proven IP/MPLS leadership from core and edge into the access layers of the network. Maintaining relative simplicity in the access network, the ACX Series supports a rich suite of L2, L3, and IP/MPLS functionality to allow large-scale seamless MPLS networks with simplified service provisioning and operations.
The ACX Series delivers industry-leading performance with a range of port densities and interface types. Table 1 provides a snapshot of interfaces supported on each ACX Series model.